Updated April 2, 2014 *The average draft round (ADR) presumes your participation in a standard 12 team league.
Click here if you don't see the spreadsheet
|Code||Website Name||Weighted Value||Last Update|
|BP||Baseball Professor||@BaseballProf||February 22|
|CBS1||Scott White||@CBSScottWhite||March 27|
|CBS2||Al Melchior||@almelccbs||March 24|
|CBS3||Michael Hurcomb||@CBSHurc||March 30|
|ESPN1||ESPN Fantasy Staff||@ESPNFantasy||March 26|
|ESPN2||Tristan H. Cockcroft||@SultanofStat||April 2|
|FA||Fantasy Assembly||@TheJimFinch||March 17|
|FBC||Fantasy Baseball Crackerjacks||@FBCrackerjacks||February 27|
|FC||Fantasy Cafe||@rjwhite1||March 23|
|FGD||Fantasy Gameday||@Fantasy_Gameday||March 11|
|FS||Fantasy Squads||@FantasySquads||March 28|
|FP911||Fantasy Pros 911||@MattDFP911||March 28|
|FOX||Fox Sports Staff||@FoxSports||March 25|
|MLB||Major League Baseball||@MLB||March 31|
|MrCS||Mr. Cheatsheet||@MrCheatSheet||March 26|
|MrFF||Mr. Fantasy Freak||@Awies28||December 22|
|YHOO||Yahoo Sports Staff||@YahooSports||March 28|
This guide provided me with success in 2012, so it's here to return in 2014. My apologies to the one and only user who submitted a request for it last year, but I was preoccupied with my own work. I hope this helps others prepare for this season. Please give me a shout out if it helps you as the motivation helps me along.
Players who will not play in 2014 were removed. I will try to make every attempt to update this page to make sure the information is up to date. Please contact me with any errors you may discover or if you find another reputable website with a similar top overall ranking. I've compiled the data from the following websites to create the average rank for nearly 500 players. If a player did not appear on a resource's list, then they were assigned a static value of 500.
What is the purpose of this spreadsheet?
Everyone has their own opinions regarding where a baseball player should be ranked during a fantasy baseball draft. These opinions are ever evolving, especially during the offseason while some men are still seeking a new home. How can you trust one resource? This is a compilation of lists sorted using unweighted as well as weighted rankings. The weighted value was determined for each website depending upon how many individuals were polled for their overall list or general confidence in the resource. I welcome critiques.
Why should I care about standard deviation?
A low standard deviation indicates the data points tend to be very close to the mean, whereas high standard deviation indicates the data points are spread out over a large range of values. Simply put, it is a measure of confidence between every website I referenced.
For example, every website ranked either Mike Trout or Miguel Cabrera in their top two which is why they have the lowest standard deviation and why you should draft them with the highest confidence. Most of your top round candidates have a standard deviation of 20 or lower, so you can presume a score higher than 20 represents some sort of risk or the possibility of reaching.
- Jose Bautista, Albert Pujols, Matt Kemp - Oh how the mighty hath fallen. Previous first round locks in 2012, but where will they end up in 2014 after being plagued by injuries?
- Ryan Braun, Nelson Cruz, Jhonny Peralta - PED distrust and suspicions?
- Masahiro Tanaka - Newly imported from Japan and shipped into hitter-friendly Yankee Stadium. No one's sure what to expect.
- David Ortiz, Carlos Beltran, Ben Zobrist, Curtis Granderson, Chase Utley - Regression candidates? The experts seem to have differing opinions on how to rank these guys.
- Max Scherzer, Carlos Gomez, Shin-Soo Choo, Jean Segura, Matt Carpenter - Some believe they played over their heads last season and have no place to go but down.
- Josh Hamilton, Starlin Castro, CC Sabathia, B.J. Upton - Some were bad in 2013, others were downright awful. We can only expect them to improve, right? Right?
- Manny Machado - Opted for reconstructive surgery on his knee on October 10, 2013 that will sideline him for 4-6 months. He is expected to return around Opening Day, but not everyone is optimistic.
I can't promise any new content beyond this guide, so please don't hold your breath. I don't want to be held liable for any asphyxiations.