Wednesday, December 14, 2011

2012 Mock Draft, Rounds 1 & 2

As I stated previously, I am participating in a fantasy baseball slow mock draft being coordinated by Jeffrey from BleacherGM, which can be followed on Couch Managers. There are 14 teams and there will be a total of 16 rounds. The draft began on Tuesday, December 13th and was originally anticipated to last until sometime in February, but apparently everyone is anxious to try to prepare for 2012. Two rounds down, only 14 to go!


I landed in the #10 slot and quickly realized I would not be able to acquire any of my top three choices (Matt Kemp, Albert Pujols, Jose Bautista), but I definitely lucked out when it finally came time for my first round pick as Jacoby Ellsbury fell in my lap.

The second round was much more difficult as I hate to snag pitchers early in drafts and the guys I hoped would fall through the cracks were taken (Justin Upton, Carlos Gonzalez, Adrian Beltre, Curtis Granderson, Prince Fielder). I took a risk, which is unlike me in the second round, and decided upon Hanley Ramirez who had a terrible 2011. If everything pans out, then I have two guys with the potential to contribute in all five categories.

Round #1, Pick #10 - Jacoby Ellsbury
There were only three guys in 2011 to collect 100 runs, 100 RBI, 30 HR, and 30 stolen bases while also posting a batting average of .300 or better: Matt Kemp, Ryan Braun, and Jacoby Ellsbury. Kemp was taken in the first round and no one is going to touch Braun this early when he may have to serve a 50 game suspension, so there was little hesitation when I chose Ellsbury. I don't foresee him maintaining the disposition as a 30/30 guy, but would be happy with a 20/40 season. He's practically a knack for 100 RBIs and runs as long as he is healthy in a Red Sox uniform.

Round #2, Pick #19 - Hanley Ramirez
This was less of a given. I have a very hard time taking pitchers early in drafts, unless it's an auction and only for cheap, which is why I passed on guys like Roy Halladay and Clayton Kershaw. Bill James projects Hanley Ramirez to bounce back to similar numbers from 2010. There are very few shortstops who have the upside to hit 20-30 HR and steal 20+ bases while also maintaining a batting average close to .300. I settled on Hanley hoping 2011 was a fluke year. I would typically prefer my 2nd round pick to have less risk, but I just couldn't justify any of the other alternatives.

Rounds 1 & 2
Rounds 3 & 4
Rounds 5 & 6
Rounds 7 & 8
Rounds 9 & 10
Rounds 11 & 12
Rounds 13 - 16


Critiques are welcomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment